Using Plotly's Python API Behind a Corporate Proxy
If you are behind a corporate firewall, you may see the error message:
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: ('Connection aborted.', TimeoutError(10060, ...)
Plotly uses the
requests module to communicate with the Plotly server. You can configure proxies by setting the environment variables
$ export HTTP_PROXY="http://10.10.1.10:3128" $ export HTTPS_PROXY="http://10.10.1.10:1080"
To use HTTP Basic Auth with your proxy, use the http://user:password@host/ syntax:
$ export HTTP_PROXY="http://user:firstname.lastname@example.org:3128/"
Note that proxy URLs must include the scheme.
You may also see this error if your proxy variable is set but you are no longer behind the corporate proxy. Check if a proxy variable is set with:
$ echo $HTTP_PROXY $ echo $HTTPS_PROXY
Still not working?
- Log an issue
- Contact email@example.com
- Get in touch with your IT department, and ask them about corporate proxies
- Requests documentation on configuring proxies the requests documentation.
- Plotly for IPython Notebooks is also available for offline use
- Plotly Enterprise is available for behind-the-firewall corporate installations